What to do if you are homeless


Are you 16 or 17 years old?

If you are 16 or 17 years old you will need to have an assessment with your local district council housing department. They will do an assessment and if they believe that you are homeless or at risk of homelessness they will refer you to Children’s Services for extra support. If you are unsure which council you should contact go onto our "District Councils" page to see who you should contact.


Once your needs have been assessed Children’s Services might refer you to a local supported housing project. Where you are referred will depend how high your needs are and what support you need to help you to be independent in the future.


Are you over 18 years old?

If you are over 18 your council will refer you to accommodation providers who can support you, if you do not have any support needs they will signpost you to other housing options. You can also apply directly to supported housing yourself. If you want to refer yourself to LEAP please complete our application form which is available at our office.


Are you a Care Leaver?

If you are a care leaver you should talk to your leaving care worker about being referred for accommodation. When you apply to LEAP you will have to come for an interview with our referrals worker, this will be at our offices on Monson Street. This interview is so we can find out more information about you and you can find out more about us to make sure it is the right service for you.


The Referral Process:

You will be offered an interview within 2 weeks of us receiving your application. At the interview you will be asked to give the names of 2 people who can tell us about you and your situation, this could be a professional you have been working with or a previous landlord if you have not always lived at home.


When we have all the information we need we can make a decision if we can support you or not. You will be given the answer by telephone, email or letter and if someone has referred you they will also be told the outcome. If you are not happy with the decision that we have made you can ask us to look at this again by filling in our appeals form. Please ask staff for a copy.



© 2014 Proudly created by Kieran Thomas Willis.

© November 2015 Updated by Andrew Phillips.

Registered in England Number 2908711 Registered Office: 22 Market Place, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire DN21 2BZ 

Registered Charity Number 1046933 HCA: 4795. Registered with the Fundraising Regulator

Privacy || Cookie Policy || Useful Policies || ICO Registered